Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Buenas!

So, I finally have access to the internet. Let´s see. Today is Tuesday, so that means we have been with out host families for 4 nights now. I am in a town called Cañas just outside of San Vicente with the family Ramos Serrano. The first night definitely took me by surprise. I essentially commandeered (i hope that´s a word - my english is slipping already) the room of my eldest host sister. So right, I have a host brother (24) and three sisters (23, 18, 13). It´s a very interesting situation. This isn´t going to be in coherent order, just as it pops into my head:

- The house was built in pieces, meaning that additions aren´t really connected except by metal roofing.
- I sleep under a yellow mosquito net to prevent Chinche (carries the disease Chagas), mosquites, cockroaches, scorpions, etc from biting me.
- Just outback, are two small cinderblock (sp) buildings. One is the bucket shower, the other the latrine. The latrine is pretty ingenious as far as i am concerned. Most latrines have a large pit, while this latrine has a small receptacle that is connected, via small piping, to the large pit. Entonces, it is a hand-flushed latrine. Once yu finish, pour water to flush.
- Our family has 3 dogs (5 on a bad day), a rooster, about 10 hens, 4 cows
- The entire diet revolves around cornmeal and beans. Also, guajada (unpasteurized milk - very delicious and probably not great for the digestive tract) is served with almost every meal. Aguacate (avocado), Mamay (an orange-like fruit), guayaba (guava), guisquil (some green veggie) are also readily available. oh and banana haha


....i will have to finish this post later. Back to safety class (don´t want dengue, chagas, malaria, rabies, or to be robbed on the bus!)

No comments:

Post a Comment