Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Current news

So I was slightly sick again - not really news at this point. It certainly says something when it is relieving to realize that I only had food poisoning and not some other nasty thing inside of my gut (no amoebas this time). I think it is very interesting that everytime I´ve had a stomach issue, my host mom immediately tries to figure out what I ate outside of the house. That piece of food is almost always the culprit haha.

This past weekend we had a free weekend so a small group of us went down to a beach called Costa del Sol. The town mostly subsists off of fishing and there really isn´t any tourism, so we didn´t see another gringo while we were there. That was refreshing, and the waves were pretty awesome for esurfiar, so I feel a bit more rejuvenated.

Last night, while I was making one of my many visits to the latrine, I realized that a cow of my family was having a baby. That was certainly an experience. My host father stayed up til 5:30 or so taking care of the mother once she had finished giving birth. So I think that brings the grand total up to 6 (we somehow acquired another one recently - not sure how haha)

Today we had our final site interviews, so they pretty much told us everything about our site but the name. Flat, dry, hot, dusty.... but a good cancha (soccer field) and a lake. Very strong cell phone reception, but no running water. I pulled the department name out of Carlos: Usulutan (if anyone cares to look that up on the map). It´s southeast El Salvador. I believe that most of the other trainees from this group will be northwest, so I guess I will get to know volunteers from other training groups.

Hasta luego y ¡que le vaya bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment